Timeline of the Napoleonic Wars:
1790, 1791, 1792, 1793, 1794,
1795, 1796, 1797, 1798, 1799,
1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1804,
1805, 1806, 1807, 1808, 1809,
1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814,
- Napoleon involved in Corsican politics.
- January: Napoleon joins the Jacobins
- February: Napoleon rejoins the 'La Fere' (newly designated the '1st')
Artillery Regiment at Auxonne
- June: Napoleon promoted to 1st lieutenant and re-assigned to
4th (former 'Grenoble') Artillery Regiment at Valence
- 20 June: Flight of the French Royal family.
- July: French army officers required to take oath to new Constitution.
Napoleon did, many Royalist officers did not.
- October: Napoleon returns to Corsica.
- 20 April: French Assembly declares war on Austria.
- 26 June: First Coalition formed.
- 10 August: Napoleon witnesses the storming of the Tuileries.
- 20 September: Battle of Valmy, the revolution endures.
- 6 November: Battle of Jemappes, French gain Austrian Netherlands.
- 21 January: Louix XVI guillotined.
- 18 March: Battle of Neerwinden, Austrians take Austrian Netherlands back.
- 11 June: Losers in Corsican political struggle Bonaparte family flees to Toulon.
- 16 September- 19 December: Napoleon distinguishes himself at the siege of Toulon.
- 15-16 October: Battle of Wattignies, French relieve Maubeuge and close road to Paris.
- 22 December: Napoleon appointed general of brigade.
- February:Napoleon appointed commander of artillery in the Army of Italy.
- 26 June: Battle of Fleurus.
- 27 July: Fall of Robespierre (Napoleons patron)
- 8 August: Napoleon arrested, but released after a period of imprisonment,
during which he rightly feared for his life.
- 16 May: Peace of Basle; Prussia leaves war.
- 19 August: Peace with Spain.
- 5 October: 'The whiff of grapeshot'; Napoleon saves the government by turning his cannon
on rioters. Cavalry Major Murat retrieves the necessary artillery.
- 14 January: Battle of Rivoli.
- 18 April: Battle of Second Battle of Altenkirchen.
- 20 April: Battle of Diersham.
- 10 March - 6 April: Army of Italy engaged in operations against Archduke Charles
- 4 September: Coup d'etat of 18 Fructidor.
- 17 October: Treaty of Campo Formio with Austria ends war in Italy.
- 19 May: Napoleon sails from Toulon to invade Egypt.
- 12 June: Napoleon occupies Malta.
- 21 July: Battle of the Pyramids.
- 1 August: Battle of the Nile; Nelson destroys French fleet supporting Napoleon.
- 21 October: Cairo revolt suppressed.
- 29 December: Second Coalition formed.
- 5 Feburary: Napoleon invades Syria (modern Isreal/Palestine)
- 1 March: Russia declares war on France.
- 17 March: Napoleons seige of Acre begins.
- 5 April-15 August: Austrians and Russians retake Italy and Switzerland.
- 16 April: Battle of Mount Tabor; Turkish army attempting to relieve
Acre is defeated.
- 10 May: Napoleons final assault on Acre repulsed.
- 20 May: Unsuccessful seige of Acre ends.
- 25 July: Battle of Aboukir.
- 22 August: Napoleon leaves Egypt, and evading British fleet sails for France.
- 25-30 September: Massena defeats Russians near Zurich.
- 9 October: Naploeon lands in France.
- 9 November: Napoleon's coup of 18 Brumaire establishes the Consulate.
- 10 November: Napoleon becomes First Consul.
- 20 March: Battle of Heliopolis
- 18 April: Massena besieged in Genoa.
- 3 May: Moreau victor in Battle of Stockach.
- 15-21 May: Army of Reserve crosses the Alps.
- 9 June: Battle of Montebello.
- 14 June: Battle of Marengo.
- 19 June: Battle of Hochstadt.
- 5 September: French forced to surrender Malta.
- 5 December: Battle of Hohenlinden.
- 9 February: Napoleon signs the Treaty of Luneville with Austria.
- 20-21 March: Night or Second Battle of Aboukir, also known as Battle of Alexandria.
- 21 March: French forces in Egypt capitulate.
- 23 March: Tsar Paul murdered; Alexander succeeds.
- 2 April: British attack Copenhagen. Nelson's famous 'blind eye'.
- 15 July: Napoleon signs Concordat with the Pope.
- 27 March: Treaty of Amiens signed with Great Britain.
- 2 August: Napoleon made Consul for life.
- 15 October: France invades Switzerland.
- 30 April: Napoleon sells Louisiana to United States.
- 18 May: Britain declares war.
- 1 June: Napoleon begins to prepare invasion of Britain. French take Hanover.
- 21 March: Duc d'Enghien murdered. Promulgation of the Civil code.
- 18 May: Napoleon proclaimed Emperor
- 19 May: Marshalate created.
- 2 December: Napoleon's coronation as Emperor.
- 14 December: Spain declares war on Britain.
- 11 April: Britain and Russia ally (beginning of 3rd Coalition).
- 26 May: Napoleon crowned King of Italy.
- 9 August: Austria joins 3rd Coalition.
- 20 October: Battle of Ulm.
- 21 October: Battle of Trafalgar.
- 15 November: Napoleon enters Vienna.
- 2 December: Battle of Austerlitz.
- 26 December: Treaty of Pressburg between Austria and France.
- 1 April: Joseph Bonaparte becomes King of Naples.
- 20 June: Louis Bonaparte becomes King of Holland.
- 12 July: Confederation of the Rhine established.
- 6 October: Fourth Coalition (Russia, Prussia, Britain, and Sweden) formed.
- 14 October: Battle of Jena . Battle of Auerstadt.
- 26 October: Napoleon enters Berlin.
- 21 November: Berlin degree begins the Continental System, which attempts to reduce
Britain by blockade.
- 16 December: French enter Warsaw.
- 8 February: Battle of Eylau.
- 18 March: Seige of Danzig begins.
- 27 May: Danzig falls.
- 14 June: Battle of Friedland.
- 7 July: Treaty of Tilsit between France, Prussia and Russia.
- 19 July: Grand Duchy of Warsaw instituted.
- 2-7 September: British attack Copenhagen destroying the Danish fleet.
- 27 October: Treaty of Fontainebleu; France and Spain agree to attack Portugal.
- 30 November: Junot occupies Lisbon.
- 2 May: Murat suppresses Madrid uprising.
- 6 June: Joseph Bonaparte proclaimed King of Spain.
- 14 July: Battle of Medina del Rio Seco.
- 22 July: Battle of Bailen. Significantly damages French military reputation.
- 21 August: Battle of Vimeiro. Wellington defeats French forces in Portugal.
- 5 November: Napoleon assumes command in Spain.
- 4 December: Napoleon enters Madrid.
- 22 April: Napoleon marries Marie-Louise of Austria.
- 9 July: Messena takes Cuidad Rodrigo.
- 27 September: Battle of Bussaco.
- 10 October: Wellington retires behind Lines of Torres Verdes.
- 5 March: Messena begins withdrawal from Portugal.
- 20 March: Marie-Louise bears Napoleon a son, who is given the title 'King of Rome'.
- 3-5 May: Battle of Fuentes de Onoro.
- 15 May: Battle of Albuera.
- 23 December: Napoleon begins preparations to invade Russia.
- 19 January: Wellington captures Ciudad Rodrigo.
- 6 April: Wellington captures Badajoz.
- 20 June: Sixth Coalition formed.
- 24 June: Napoleon invades Russia.
- 22 July: Battle of Salamanca.
- 17-19 August: Battle of Smolensk.
- 7 September: Battle of Borodino.
- 14 September: Napoleon enters Moscow.
- 19 October: Napoleon leaves Moscow.
- 21 October: Wellington repulsed at Burgos.
- 24-25 October: Battle of Maloyaroslavets.
- 26-28 November: Battle of the Beresina.
- 30 December: Yorck signs Convention of Tauroggen by which his
Prussian Corps defects from the French Grande Armee.
- 4 March: Russians enter Berlin.
- 16 March: Prussia declares war on France.
- 2 May: Battle of Lutzen. (Gross-Gorshcen).
- 20-21 May: Battle of Bautzen.
- 23 May: Wellington advances into Spain.
- 4 June: Armistice of Pleichwitz begins.
- 12 June: French evacuate Madrid.
- 21 June: Battle of Vitoria.
- 12 August: Austria declares war on France.
- 17 August: Armistice of Pleichwitz ends.
- 23 August: Battle of Grossbeeren.
- 26 August: Battle of Katzbach.
- 26-27 August: Battle of Dresden.
- 30 August: Battle of Kulm.
- 6 September: Battle of Dennewitz.
- 3 October: Battle of Wartenburg.
- 16-19 October: Battle of Leipzig.
- 30 October: Battle of Hanau.
- 10 November: Battle of Nivelle.
- 26 February: Napoleon escapes Elba.
- 1 March: Napoleon lands in France.
- 20 March: Napoleon enters Paris.
- 15 June: Napoleon crosses into Belgium.
- 16 June: Battle of Ligny.
Battle of Quartre Bras.
- 18 June: Battle of Waterloo.
Battle of Wavre.
- 22 June: Napoleon abidicates.